Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education & Research

A Center of Excellence in Medical and Research

Landmarks

Year - 1707
A small hospital for British people was founded in the premises of the Old Fort at Gerstein Place.
Year - 1770
The Hospital was shifted to the-then Lower Circular Road, now known as AJC Bose Road. Hospital was named as Presidency General Hospital and was open for admission of general public.
Year - 1795
Two new wings and some other additions and alterations were made. These buildings served the residence of Calcutta for over a century.
Year - 1849
Edward Hare, Inspector General of Hospitals in Bengal, carried out his research at the Presidency General Hospital and discovered quinine.
Year - 1870
First centenary celebration was held in P.G. Hospital.
Year - 1890
Ronald Ross, the then researcher of PG Hospital started his research on Malaria.
Year - 1897
Anopheles mosquitoes -a Mosquito species discovered as cause of Malaria.
Year - 1898
These buildings were dismantled. Foundation stone of the Main Building was laid by the then Lieutenant Governor of Bengal, Alexander Mackenzie on 29th January 1898.
Year - 1898
Surgeon Major Ronald Ross, the Noble Laureate discovered the manner in which malaria is conveyed by mosquitoes in a small DD Cunnigham Laboratory,70 yards to the south-east gate, near the hospital’s entrance on Lower Circular Road.
Year - 1902
Blood Bank and SPM Block were constructed.
Year - 1903
Maternity & Gynaecology Building was constructed.
Year - 1911
Ronald Ross of PG Hospital was conferred on Nobel Prize in Physiology & Medicine.
Year - 1923
Woodburn Ward was constructed in two phases.
Year - 1925
Michael Madhusudan Dutta, the eminent Bengali poet was the first Bengali who was admitted here for treatment.
Year - 1926
Lady Canning House was built for Diploma Education of the nurses.
Year - 1954
The Presidency General Hospital was renamed as the Seth Sukhlal Karnani Memorial Hospital by the Government of West Bengal, in memory of the grandfather of Mr. Indra Kumar Karnani, who gave a handsome gift of Rs. 17 lakhs for the expansion of hospital.
Year - 1954
Cardiology, Cardio thoracic and Ophthalmology Departments were opened.
Year - 1955
School of Nursing was established to conduct para medical courses.
Year - 1955
Critical Investigation Block and OPD were built.
Year - 1957
The Hospital was first ever bestowed in eastern India with the confidence of Medical Council of India (MCI) on 16th January, to act as Post Graduate Medical Education Center and was renamed as Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education and Research (IPGMER).
Year - 1962
Bangur Institute of Neurology founded
Year - 1968
Ronald Ross Building was constructed and completed in 1970.
Year - 1970
Second centenary of the hospital celebrated.
Year - 1975
Chest and Cancer Block were opened along with Bangur Institute of Neurology.
Year - 1977
Construction for College of Nursing was started and completed in 1978.
Year - 1982
Silver Jubilee of IPGMER was celebrated.
Year - 2003
BC Roy Inst of Basic Medical Science merged with IPGMER. Institute of Neurological Sciences was setup
Year - 2004
MCI approved Under graduate medical course to the institution.
Year - 2006
Alumni Association formed.
Year - 2007
Golden Jubilee of IPGMER and Tri-centenary of the hospital (SSKM) celebrated
Year - 2008
Nursing College for UG and PG level study was set up
Year - 2008
School of Digestive and Liver Diseases was formed
Year - 2009
The Bangur Institute of Neuroscience inducted as Part of IPGME&R
Year - 2011
Institute of Psychiatry and Institute of Cardiovascular Sciences was formed
Year - 2012
Advanced Neo Natal care department was set up
Year - 2013
Genomics, Nuclear medicines super speciality departments were inducted
Year - 2014
Human Milk Bank was set up; School of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation was launched
Year - 2015
Clinical outdoor was introduced in Nuclear Medicines department